Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sign language first lesson…


Today is my first lesson for Bahasa Isyarat Malaysia (BIM) basic level class. This is the extra course which I take outside of UKM to enhance my understanding of BIM. I’ve only learn about Kod Tangan Bahasa Malaysia (KTBM) in UKM and that’s not enough for me to teach in future. KTBM is a manually coded language (”sign language” versions of spoken languages) and not the real sign language of the Deaf. The real sign language for the Deaf is known as BIM. My first lesson was about Visual Gesture Communication (VGC) and facial expressions. The way my instructor, Yee Ke Xin taught us is totally different from the way I was taught before. I give credit to her. Although Ke Xin taught us without using any voice, I understood what she taught. Her message was very clear. I am wondering whether I can perform as well as her when I teach in future. If I can teach as well as her, using facial expressions, VGC and the correct sign language, I am sure that the students will perform better provided that the students are willing to work hard. Besides that, I will not have to learn signing from students anymore… the experience that I got during my practicum is enough for me. I have to perform better than the students to get their attention and respect. The most important technique to teach them is to be part of them, to be able to understand their culture and to be able to use their language effectively. I am still lack of confidence and hesitate my performance but I know that I have to work for the better. This needs strong determination. As I’ve already put my first step forward, I know that I shall continue my steps towards the ‘Miracle tree’ that is standing still far in front, waiting for me to put fertilizer so that it will bear flowers and fruits by itself. I’ll walk along that path- the road I’ve taken unless… unless one day I feel weary. Then, I may stop, feeling heartache… staring at the tree in front which is fruitless. I hope that I will not get burnout in future but there are many unpredictable things in this world. Miracle tree… my steps may be slow, wait for me because I want to see you growing with beautiful flowers and fruits. Living with hope and uncertainty…



No comments:

Post a Comment