I fall in love with S. S taught me how to care for others. That day, S took my hands and we danced together. Although without any music following us, we danced happily- left and right we went. I can’t stop giggling every time I thought back of it. S is not a ‘he’ and if you think that S is my boyfriend, you are being tricked by me to read my blog-Yeah! Hahaha! If you want to scold me for this, hope you will only do this only after you have read through this blog till the end. Please, please read this till the end…
S is a petite girl, about 4 years old who is one of the participants of PDK (Pusat Pemulihan Dalam Komuniti) at my hometown. She really CUTE! Physically, I can guess that she is a Down syndrome. There are few things which have impressed me. Once, her friend cried and I ask her to care for that girl “Sayang dia, sayang dia…”. Do you know what she did? She used her both hands to wipe the tears of her friends! At that time, I realized that action really speaks louder than word. When she played with two of her friends who are having difficulty in using their hands to throw a paper-made ball, she hold their hands and taught them how to make a throw. And … bla…bla…bla… Hehe, erm…there are lots more to be shared with you, but I guess you will not get the feeling that I was having at that time if you were not there. Want to know what I felt at that time? You go there lo =p .
S is one of many special ‘children’ who impressed me. Let me share with you about PDK (Pusat Pemulihan Dalam Komuniti) this time. It is a centre where those disabled who are not accepted by the school, are placed. They are taught to take care of themselves, how to socialize with others and many other basic skills. PDK is another course which is compulsory for Special Education and my coursemate and I need to give our service and organize program for them for one sem. What I’ve learnt from there? First of all, I can tell you that, they can make you forget about the problems you are having and bring you into their world. They made me laugh and of course, they also have made me realized how fortunate am I =D.
If you think that welfare home is a place for you to show your sympathy for those unfortunate, you are definitely WRONG! It is a place where love flourishes; it is a place that teaches you how to care for others; it is a place where you push aside the stigma towards them and make them have the feeling of being part of the community and tell them that they are just as other human beings in this world. What you can do for those disabled? Well, you need to let them discover their own ability and lead them to be independent. There are many things they can do if you teach them. Importantly, remember that they are not disabled and you should not do all the works for them, ending up causing them to learn nothing =)
There is someone who I know, was touched by a Down Syndrome girl’s condition and cried in front of her at the first time she visited a Mentally Retarded Centre. And there are also others who turn their back whenever they see those disabled. Well, how about you? What is your experience or what will be your first experience in such centre? If you want to know it, you need to discover it by yourself because what you are going to get is invaluable and can never be bought by money (You can donate money to them, but touching them and giving your love to them is thousand times more valuable than money alone). Hope after you have read my blog, you are touched to have visits to such centre. Have a nice day with them! I am very sure that you can brighten up their days! Remember… It is a blessing that you can give what you can to those in need rather than to receive from others. “Palm facing down is to help people; palm facing up is to ask for help”. Which are you? The answer is in your hand. (“,)
“You may think that what you are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop”- Anynomous
No comments:
Post a Comment