Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Meaningful Experience with the Blind

It was the best experience that has raised my determination to continue exploring the life of the visual impaired. It was the "Simposium Teknologi dan Pameran Alat Bantu untuk OKU Penglihatan" which was held at Malaysian Association for the Blind (MAB). Two teachers and four students from my school were invited to this symposium and I'm the only sighted. This was my first experience to lead four totally blind (B1) individuals to walk on the road... and it's OUTSIDE of the school! I was nervous and doubted my ability to be a good leader (my aim was simple-as long as I won't cause any mishap to them).

Thanks to my friend who had guided me on the correct ways to lead the 'train'. As the 'captain of the train', I had to be aware of the surrounding, the best road to be taken (less traffic) and be extremely CAREFUL when cross the roads (we crossed 4 roads-2 of these are busy roads). Our destination? Our destination was KL Central... we walked from MAB at Brickfields to KL Central to take the LRT back to Wangsa Maju. It was as if I were having the night walk during BSMM camps... challenging!

We walked in a line, and I was the first to start the 'journey'. The passers-by were staring at us. Sigh... don't you ever see human? Why are you staring at us as if we were aliens? Perhaps they never see such a long 'train' walking on the roads. Well, never mind... who cares at your stares. I have to admit that, I was not a good guider. Once in a while, my students might knocked at the obstructions at the side of the roads. Now, I realized that there are SO MANY obstructions such as the motorcycles, pillars and even cars on the side of the roads. It's not pleasing at all... we 'knocked into' the obstructions several times... no no... I should say, I caused them knocked into these obstructions for several times. See... as I told you before, I was such a weak leader/guider.

I get a very meaningful experience through this. I was just lending my eyes to them but they taught me the reality of their life... far more challenging than mine. They have their night walk and jungle trekking all the times! What kind of community we are? This community belongs to everyone, not only for the sighted. Should we do something to include them into the community, to be more considerate? Should we???



3 comments:

  1. hoho~we try our best to create the unrestrictive environments. maybe we can ask tos ppl dun block at the blind person rail. i have see 3 blind ppls took LRT as normal person, they move very fast eventhough without lead by sighted ppl. so maybe u can relax bit. they can do it. but the way go MAB really lots of dangerous things. some even the hot pot in front the blind person when they walk alone. OKU always need very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree ^^/ . They really brave to explore the ways. The community is too selfish. Don't they know that the tactile is for the Blind to move? They just simply park their transport on it. Sure the Blind will knock into it. And some tactiles are leading the Blind to sign board... I used to see some Blind individuals knocked their head onto the sign boards. Imagine if our head knock onto it and produce a loud sound! Some tactiles are just nice to be seen but can't be used...

    ReplyDelete